Skimbaco Home will start featuring easy entertaining ideas and party decorating tips every Friday.
I personally love last minute entertaining and making something out of nothing. While I like planning big parties and inviting a lot of people as well, the best parties tend to be the ones that are last minute, and with “use what we have” mentality, when the focus is on having a good time instead of trying to make everything perfect. This is often also the greener way of doing things and I decided to start my weekly entertaining tip feature with green party tips to celebrate the Earth Day.
· Make invitations out of recycled paper or other recycled material.
· Send an email invite via Paperless Post.
GREEN PARTY FOOD TIPS:
· Use organic and locally sustained food.
· Serve finger foods to skip using plates and utensils, and use cloth napkins that can be washed and used again.
· Make dishes that don’t require the oven or electricity to prepare.
· Be creative with food, licorice ends can be cut off to make edible straws for the kids.
GREEN PARTY DECORATING:
· Use recycled soup cans as flower vases.
· Use what you have: use coffee table books and stack them as a centerpiece, add a small plant on the top.
· Potted plants and flowers are eco-friendlier than cut flowers. You can also buy small potted flowers and fill your party space and tables with them and then give them as party favors.
ECO-FRIENDLY PARTY FAVOR IDEAS:
· Have a recycled book exchange for the kids and adults, instead of favors.
· Decorate canvas shopping totes or brown bags with eco-friendly paint, old buttons, etc. as a party activity and a party favor bag.